I don’t know about you, but in my family our 2 dogs Hurricane and Pippi are part of everything we do. And that includes Halloween! I never knew that dogs Halloween costumes were a thing until I took my kids out for trick or treat the first time.
Some people are just really into Halloween. They dress up their yards, they wear costumes for when they answer the doorbell and even the dogs are dressed up! I loved having a dog in costume be at the door when I walked up with my kids!
I would also see many parents bringing their dogs along trick or treating and it was so cute to see all the different Halloween dog costume ideas.
At this time of year, dogs Halloween costumes are in the stores but they don’t have as good a selection as online. I’ve chosen a few here to show you so that you have some good Halloween dog costume ideas for your own pooch.
Small Dog Halloween Costumes.
I have a Shitzu cross and a teacup chihauhau. For Pippi, I find that she needs size XS (extra small) and for Hurricane, he needs size Small.
Pippi, is quite the Diva and does not like getting dressed in her Halloween costume. For her we have to put the costume on early so she can have her time to sulk under the dresser and then she will be ok.
If your dog is like Pippi and easily frightened or a bit of a diva, choose clothing that doesn’t have too many pieces flapping around. For her I would pick a little dress like this rather than a fairy costume with wings.
Hurricane, on the other hand is very relaxed and cooperates nicely with dressup. He grew up with my kids and so has endured many years of being dressed up as a Princess or a Pirate.
If your small dog is used to getting dressed, then he would look very cute in these Halloween dog costumes:
Dog Costumes for Large Dogs
Many costumes do come in Sizes XS all the way to XL. That said, I do think that some styles that are good on a tiny dog just aren’t going to be the same for a large dog. Proper fit makes all the difference!
I also think that you know your dog best and will probably want to take your dogs personality into account when choosing his Halloween dog costume.
If your large male dog is really just a big Princess, then why not go for it!? Halloween is all about fun right?
Star Wars Dog Costumes
I couldn’t resist! The new Star Wars Movie is coming out soon and so why not get in the Spirit! (Did you see what I did there?) These Star Wars Dog Costumes are so much fun, I might be going that theme this year myself!
Final Considerations for your Halloween Dog Costume
A few things came to mind as I was writing this article.
- If your dog never wears sweaters or jackets during the year, then suddenly expecting him or her to love the whole Halloween Dog Costume idea may be asking a bit much.
- I would suggest getting him used to the idea by introducing him to clothing all year round. There are so many dog shirts and jackets that would keep him comfortable outside in other situations and it would also prepare him for wearing a dog costume. We want our dogs to look good but we also want to be fair right?
- The other consideration is proper fit. Don’t squeeze the poor dog into something that is too small. They need room to breathe.
- Also watch for some costumes that might have head pieces that obscure your dog’s vision.
- Make sure they are wearing the Halloween dog costume under supervision.
- Be sure to remove the costume yourself, never them chew it off or work it off themselves. There may be parts that he could swallow.
Above all else, Halloween should be a fun time for the whole family and that includes your dogs! Stay safe this Halloween!